Laos Visa for Tourists
21/12/2017 931 Views 0 Comments Brian Vu
Laos is famous for its lyrical beauty and friendly people, which makes it an Asia favorite destination of many tourists around the world. However, the process of applying for a Laos visa can be confusing, especially for people who have never traveled abroad before. But don’t worry! We are offering you the following guide to make the process easier so that you will have a wonderful holiday in Laos without wasting much time on getting a visa.
1. VISA-FEE COUNTRIES
The nations listed in the below table are either visa-free or eligible for visas on arrival for short trips in Laos. If you are a citizen of those countries, you do not need to get a visa when visiting Laos.
Visa-free Countries Max Duration of Stay (in days):
|Visa-Fee Countries||Max Durations of Stay (in days)|
However, if you have to get a Laos visa, the best way is obtaining it on arrival, which is very convenient for those who are tight on time, resources, energy or when Lao embassies/consulates are too far to reach. The visa obtained on arrival is usually tourist visa while other types such as business and official visa can also be gotten on arrival as long as you have arranged everything in advance and you have a letter of approval (or an entry visa number) from Ministry of Foreign Affairs of Laos.
2, WHO CAN GET LAOS VISA ON ARRIVAL?
All foreigners who have intention of visiting Laos as tourists, apart from citizens of the countries in the following list (effective from 15 October, 2009):
|Burundi||Libya (Libyan Arab Jamahirya)||Syria (Syrian Arab republic)|
3, WHERE TO GET LAOS VISA ON ARRIVAL
• Wattay International Airport (Vientiane)
• LuangPrabang International Airport (LuangPrabang)
• PaskeInternationalAirport (Champasack)
- Thailand – Laos
• Chiangkhong – Houixay, Chiang Rai to Bokeo Province
• Nakaxeng – Kaenthao, Loei to Sayabouly Province
• Houi Koln – Nam Ngeun, Nan to Sayabouly Province
• Lao-Thai Friendship Bridge I, Nongkhai-Vientiane Capital
• ThaNaleng train station in Vientiane
• Lao-Thai Friendship Bridge II,Moukdahan-Savannakhet Province
• Lao-Thai Friendship Bridge III, NakornPhanom-Khammouane Province
• Chongmek – Vangtao, UbolRatchathani to Champasack Province
• Dong Calor – Veun Kham, Cambodia to Champasack Province
• Nameo – Banleui,ThanhHoa to Huaphanh Province
• Namkan – Namkan, Nghe An to XiengKhouang Province
• Keoneua – Nampao (Lak Sao), Ha Tinh to Bolikhamxay Province
• Laobao – Dansavanh, Quang Tri to Savannakhet Province
- China - Laos
• Mohan – Botene , Yunnan to LuangNamtha Province
4, HOW TO GET LAOS VISA ON ARRIVAL?
Here are some main necessary requirements and steps that you need to stick in your mind:
• If you want to prepare ahead of time and if you have access to a printer, download the visa application form from the Internet, then fill it out and take it with you or you can wait until you arrive.
• On arrival, you go to the window “Visa on arrival”, which is usually at the arrival channel (before or next to the immigration windows). Do not waste your time queuing up at the immigration window if you haven’t already had a visa.
• If you have not pre-filled the visa application form before,get it at the window and fill it out.
• Submit the completed form with your original passport (with at least 6 months of remaining validity and a blank page for a visa sticker) and 2 recent photographs.
• Pay the visa fee. A complete list of fee is usually placed at the window for you to consult.
• Wait nearby till you name are called.
At major airports, the visa processing time is around 10- 15 minutes. Nevertheless, in the late afternoons, weekends and public holidays,at both visa and immigration windows, delays are likely to happen.
5, FEE FOR VISA ON ARRIVAL
Countr and Price (US Dollar)
- Australia: 30
- Canada: 42
- China: 20
- India: 40
- Sweden: 31
- USA: 35
- UK: 35
- Others: 30
Notes: It is highly recommend that you should pay the visa fee in US dollars in order to avoid losing money through unfavorable exchange rates. In addition, there is a $1 over time fee on weekends, Lao public holidays before 8am and after 4 pm weekdays. Also, an entry fee (2500 kip or so) may be charged.
6, HOW AND WHERE TO GET LAOS VISA EXTENDED?
You can get your tourist visa or visa on arrival in Laos extended once for a maximum of 30 more days.
However, if you overstay your visa without extending it, you will be fined $10 per day for each day of overstay in addition to the $2 fee for any additional days you would like to stay.
Your Laos visa can be extended from Monday to Friday at Immigration Office inVientiane, Lane Xang Avenue, ChanthaboulyDistrict, Hatsady Village, tel: (021) 2219 607. It opens from 8 am to 4 pm but keep in mind that extension applications willnot be accepted on Friday afternoons.
The must-bring things include your passport, a passport photo, a processing fee $3, an application fee of 2500 kip (about $ 0.25), and an extension fee of $2 per day.